Hash Brown Breakfast Sandwich
A fun and tasty breakfast can be yours in 10 minutes from start to finish.
- 2 squares frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, made with no added fat
- Canola cooking spray
- 1 slice cheese, any type you like, cut in half
- 1 large egg (use higher omega-3 brand if available), beaten with 1 teaspoon water (or use 1/4 cup egg substitute)
- Pepper or salt-free seasoning blend (like Mrs. Dash) to taste
- Salt to taste, if desired
- 1 medium tomato, sliced (or substitute a sliced avocado)
- Place hash brown squares on a microwave-safe plate and thaw in microwave on HIGH for about 90 seconds. Start heating a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat.
- When hash browns are out of the microwave, spray an area in the hot pan with canola cooking spray. Lay one of the hash brown squares on top. Repeat with remaining square. Spray tops of the hash browns with canola cooking spray. Sprinkle the tops with pepper or seasoning blend to taste and salt to taste, if desired. When underside is nicely brown (about 3 minutes), flip hash browns over and brown other side (about 2 minutes more).
- Remove hash browns to serving plate and top with a piece of the cheese. Coat the still-hot frying pan with canola spray and pour in the beaten egg or egg substitute. Let it naturally form a circle shape in the pan. Top with black pepper or salt-free seasoning blend, as desired. When the underside is nicely browned (about 2 minutes), flip the egg circle over and cook the other side about 1 minute more. Cut the egg circle in half and fold each half over. Add each egg piece on top of the cheese topped hash brown squares.
- Top with tomato or avocado slices.
Per serving (using egg substitute and tomato): 256 calories, 16 g protein, 33 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 21 mg cholesterol, 3.5 g fiber, 255 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 25%.
© 2007 Elaine Magee
© 2007 WebMD Inc.