Chicken Florentine Pie
- 2 cups shredded, skinless roasted chicken breast (you can use a roasted chicken from the store)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (you could also use 1 pouch of microwavable frozen brown rice, or instant brown rice)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon parsley flakes or 2 teaspoons fresh, finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet or white onion (or chopped green onion)
- 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed in microwave and drained well
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons prepared pesto (i.e. from frozen section), OPTIONAL
- If baking right away, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with canola cooking spray.
- Add shredded chicken, brown rice, herbs, onion, spinach, ricotta cheese, pepper and Parmesan to large mixing bowl and gently mix together well with spoon.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Keep the covered dish in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
- When ready to bake, place covered dish in preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil; spread pesto over the top of the dish, and bake about 10 minutes longer.
Makes 6 servings
Per serving (without pesto): 260 calories, 26 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, 7.8 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 61 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 175 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 27%. (With pesto): 299 calories, 27 g protein, 22 g carbohydrate, 11 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 63 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 227 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 34%.
© 2007 Elaine Magee
© 2007 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter