Easy Herb Butter Scallops
The less you fuss with scallops, the better they tend to taste. Serve these scallops on a bed of whole-wheat pasta or steamed brown rice and with a side of steamed vegetables and/or a green or fruit salad.
- 1 pound large sea scallops, rinsed in cold water then patted dry with paper towels
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon whipped butter
- 2 tablespoons finely diced shallot
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or champagne
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat for a minute or so. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and let it heat up about 30 seconds. Place scallops in the pan with plenty of room between them so they will sizzle instead of steam.
- Let the scallops sizzle until the bottom side is browned and crisp (2 to 4 minutes). Gently turn over and cook the other side until well browned (2 to 4 minutes). When you cut into a scallop, it should be barely firm to the touch and a more solid white color throughout.
- Take the pan off the heat. Move the scallops to a plate and cover with a sheet of foil to keep them warm.
- Return pan to the stove over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of whipped butter and the shallots and saute for about a minute. Add the wine and simmer until it is reduced by about half (1-2 minutes). Reduce heat to low, stir in the parsley and chives, and continue to simmer for only a minute. Turn off the heat and add the scallops. Let sit about a minute to warm the scallops and meld flavors. Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
Per serving: 141 calories, 19 g protein, 4 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 1.6 g saturated fat, 2.3 g monounsaturated fat, 0.6 g polyunsaturated fat, 43 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 203 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 33%.
© 2007 Elaine Magee
© 2007 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter