Sweet-and-Spicy Pork Tenderloin
Says Alexander: "When people hear that I'm a "healthy chef," they often assume I'm a vegetarian, which, to anyone who knows me, is a ridiculous notion. I love meat ... all kinds, really, but this pork roast is of my favorites. In fact, my friend Marjorie and I made this roast one night and we loved it so much we wanted to eat the whole thing. When cooked right, this is as tender as can be."
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 pork tenderloin (11⁄4 pounds), trimmed of visible fat
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 11⁄2 teaspoons hot-pepper sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly mist a small roasting pan or ovenproof skillet with olive oil spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the cumin, cinnamon, salt, black pepper, allspice, garlic powder, and chipotle pepper.
- Rub the pork evenly with the olive oil. Then rub evenly with the spice mixture until coated. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the honey, garlic, and hot-pepper sauce. Whisk to mix. Set aside.
- Set a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until it is hot enough for a spritz of water to sizzle on it. With an oven mitt, briefly remove the pan from the heat to lightly mist with olive oil spray. Place the pork in the pan. Cook for 1 minute per side, or until browned on all sides.
- Transfer to the prepared pan. With a basting brush, evenly coat the pork with the reserved honey mixture. Roast the tenderloin in the oven for 16 to 18 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted in the center reaches 160°F and the juices run clear.
- Remove from the oven. Cover the pork loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand for 10 minutes. Transfer the pork to a cutting board. Holding a knife at a 45° angle, cut into thin slices. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 221 calories, 30 g protein, 10 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat (2 g saturated), 92 mg cholesterol, less than 1 g fiber, 375 mg sodium
© Recipe from The Biggest Loser Cookbook (Rodale Books, 2006). Republished with permission
© 2007 WebMD Inc.