Southwest BBQ Chicken Salad
A lighter barbecue chicken mixture uses skinless shredded chicken breast blended with barbecue sauce and green onions. Instead of French fried onions, this recipe calls for black beans. A light dressing finishes it off.
- 2 cups shredded boneless, skinless roasted or grilled chicken breast
- 1 cup black beans (from can), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (mild or hot, depending on your preference)
- 1/2 cup fresh, chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 8 cups dark green salad greens (from a bag or from lettuce heads, torn into pieces and rinsed)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn, very lightly microwaved and chilled in refrigerator
- 1 cup black beans (about one 15-ounce can, drained)
- 1/3 cup light ranch dressing (light blue cheese can also be used)
- Handful of tortilla chips (optional)
- Add chicken, beans, barbecue sauce, cilantro (if desired) and green onions to a medium bowl and toss to blend well; set aside.
- In large salad bowl, add salad greens, tomatoes, and corn and toss to mix. Portion mixture evenly into 4 individual salad bowls and top with a fourth of the chicken mixture.
- Drizzle light ranch dressing evenly over the top of the four salad servings. Garnish each serving with a couple of tortilla chips, if desired.
4 entree salad servings
Per serving: 318 calories, 30 g protein, 30 g carbohydrate, 9.5 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 2 g monounsaturated fat, 4 g polyunsaturated fat, 64 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 710 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 26%.
Recipes provided by Elaine Magee; © 2007 Elaine Magee
© 2007 WebMD Inc.