Appetizers and Snacks
Thin and Crispy BBQ Chicken Pizza Snack Wedges
Says Alexander: "Yes! You can have pizza and eat healthy. And you don't have to feel guilty about it. I always serve this pizza at my Super Bowl parties and when I invite girlfriends over for TV nights. My friends always rave and swear there's no way it's low in fat. This recipe is particularly great for kids, too!"
- 1 whole-wheat flour, 96% fat-free tortilla (8" diameter)
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce (7 grams carbs or less per 2 tablespoons)
- 1⁄2 cup (2 ounces) finely shredded Cabot 75% Light Cheddar Cheese
- 2⁄3 cup (3 ounces) chopped grilled chicken breast
- 1⁄4 cup slivered red onion
- 11⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the tortilla on a small nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until crisp. If air bubbles form, poke them with a fork, then press out the air with a spatula or oven mitt.
- Remove the sheet from the oven. Top the tortilla evenly in layers with the sauce, cheese, chicken, onion, and cilantro.
- Bake for 2 to 4 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted. Slice into 8 wedges. Serve immediately.
Note from Alexander: It is critical that you do not attempt to make a pizza "crust" from a low-carb tortilla. It will smoke and burn, without becoming crisp. Most barbecue sauce is high in sugar and carbohydrates. I always look for one with 7 grams or less of carbs per serving. Although you can use "low-carb" barbecue sauce, I have not found one that I enjoy, so I opt for one that contains less carbohydrates rather than one that's called "low-carb."
Per serving: 381 calories, 45 g protein, 32 g carbohydrates, 9 g fat (3 g saturated), 78 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 861 mg sodium
© Recipe from The Biggest Loser Cookbook (Rodale Books, 2006). Republished with permission.
© 2007 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter