All-American Light Potato Salad
The great thing about this recipe is you don't have to boil the potatoes!
- 4 russet potatoes with skin (large pink or white potatoes can be substituted)
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard (add 1 more tablespoon, if desired)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 cup diced or chopped celery
- 1/3 cup diced or chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley (regular or Italian)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- Wash the outside of potatoes well, then cut into 1-inch cubes. Add potato pieces to a large, microwave-safe vegetable-cooker container. Cover and cook on HIGH for about 6 minutes. Stir potatoes, cover cooker, and cook on HIGH until potatoes are just tender (about 4-6 minutes more).
- While potatoes are cooling, add mayonnaise, sour cream, honey mustard, pepper and salt (if desired) to large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Stir in cooled potatoes, celery, bell pepper, green onions and parsley. Cover and chill until ready to serve (at least an hour). Sprinkle a dash or two of paprika over the top before serving, if desired.
About 6 cups of salad (eight 3/4-cup servings)
Per serving: 148 calories, 3 g protein, 29 g carbohydrate, 2.3 g fat, 0.3 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 89 mg sodium (216 mg if the salt is added). Calories from fat: 14%.
© 2007 Elaine Magee
© 2007 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter