Desserts: Cakes, Cookies and Others
Light Coconut Cream Cake
You can make this cake a day ahead of time. It travels well because it rests safely in the baking dish and can be easily covered. If you can't find light canned coconut milk, use 3/4 cup fat-free half-and-half plus 3/4 teaspoon coconut extract.
- 1 box (18.26 ounces) white cake mix
- 1 large egg (use a higher omega-3 brand if available)
- 1/2 cup egg substitute (or 4 egg whites)
- 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 cup water or low-fat milk
- 3/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk (available in cans; see substitute suggestion above)
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 3 cups light or fat-free Cool Whip (light whipping cream can also be used)
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut (regular or toasted)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with canola cooking spray.
- Add cake mix, egg, egg substitute, sour cream, water, and coconut extract to a large mixing bowl and beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Scrape sides of bowl after a minute of mixing. Pour evenly into prepared baking dish and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean.
- In a 4-cup measure, blend sauce ingredients until smooth.
- When cake comes out of the oven, poke large holes evenly over the top with chopsticks or a barbecue fork. Pour milk mixture slowly over the top, so it soaks into the cake. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, spread light Cool Whip (or other whipped topping) over the top of cake and then sprinkle with the coconut.
About 18 servings
Per serving: 195 calories, 4 g protein, 31 g carbohydrate, 6 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 2 g monounsaturated fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat, 11 mg cholesterol, 0.5 g fiber, 223 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 28%.
© 2007 Elaine Magee
© 2007 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter