This is one variation of cornbread -- a savory, rather than sweet, cornbread.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 or 2 jalapeno chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine corn meal, flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Add egg, milk, and sour cream to large mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until blended. Stir in corn.
- In nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add canola oil. When oil is hot, saute onions, chilies, and tomato until onion is tender. Let cool a few minutes.
- Add onion mixture and dry ingredients to mixing bowl with egg mixture and beat on low speed just until blended, scraping sides of bowl halfway. Stir in cheese, and then pour mixture in an 8- or 9-inch square baking pan coated with canola cooking spray.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cornbread is cooked throughout and lightly golden on top.
Per serving: 189 calories, 7.5 g protein, 31 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat, 1.2 g saturated fat, 28 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 500 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 20%.
© 2007 Elaine Mageeor
© 2007 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter