Honey & Oat Bread (for bread machine)
This is great bread for making toast or sandwiches.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg (use a higher omega-3 type if available), beaten
- 2 tablespoons HOT tap water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Add oats to food processor and pulse to create a flour-like mixture.
- Add buttermilk, beaten egg, hot water, honey, canola oil, flours, salt and yeast to the bread machine pan, in this order or the order suggested by the manufacturer.
- Set the bread machine on the Light Crust or Whole Wheat setting and press START. The bread will be ready in about 4 hours.
12 bread machine slices
Per serving: 168 calories, 6 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 3.8 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 1.8 g monounsaturated fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat, 18 mg cholesterol, 2.1 g fiber, 319 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 20%.
© 2007 WebMD Inc. © 2006 Elaine Magee