Roasted Vegetable Quesadilla
Don't let the 30 minute oven roasting of vegetables frighten you. It takes about 5 minutes to get the vegetables ready to roast then pop them in the oven.
- 1 sweet or red onion, ends trimmed, cut in half lengthwise and then sliced
- 2 red, yellow or orange bell peppers, quartered, cored, seeded
- 1 eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 1.5 pounds)
- 2 zucchini, ends trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch slices lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- freshly ground pepper
- salt (optional)
- 4 larger sized whole-wheat flour tortillas
- 6 ounces (1 1/2 cups) shredded reduced fat jack cheese or a combination of reduced fat cheddar and jack (available pre-shredded in packages)
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a nonstick large baking sheet or jellyroll pan with canola cooking spray. Lay onion slices, bell pepper strips, eggplant slices, and zucchini strips onto the pan. Brush the tops with canola oil and season with pepper and salt (if desired). Roast vegetables in oven until soft (about 30 minutes).
- Add one of the tortillas to a large nonstick frying pan and begin to heat over medium heat. Give it about 30 seconds and then flip the tortilla over. Quickly top the tortilla with about 6 tablespoons of cheese and then lay an assortment of the roasted vegetables over the top of the cheese and continue to cook until the bottom of the tortilla is nicely brown.
- Fold the tortilla over and cut it into about 4 pieces. Make the remaining quesadillas with the remaining ingredients. Serve each quesadilla with a garnish of a dollop of sour cream topped with a dollop of salsa and about four slices of an avocado fanned out across the top of the quesadilla.
per serving: 320 calories, 17 g protein, 43 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 4.2 g monounsaturated fat, 1.7 g polyunsaturated fat, 23 mg cholesterol, 6.5 g fiber, 540 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 28 percent.
© 2007 WebMD Inc. © 2006 Elaine Magee
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors