- 3 cups fresh or frozen raspberries or blackberries (about 1 pound)
- 3 cups diced pears
- 2 tablespoons Wondra quick-mixing flour (or 3 tablespoons if using frozen fruit)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Splenda
- 2 tablespoons liqueur, such as Chambord or Grand Marnier
- 3/4 cup quick oats
- 6 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 6 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup less-fat margarine (with 8 grams of fat per tablespoon) or whipped butter
- 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9-inch or 8 x 8-inch baking dish with canola cooking spray.
- Add berries, pears, flour, sugar, Splenda, and liqueur to a large mixing bowl and toss to blend well. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Add oats, flours, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt to a large mixing bowl; beat with electric mixer on low speed to combine. Add margarine in chunks and beat on medium speed, cleaning margarine off beaters several times, until a nice crumb has formed. Drizzle buttermilk over the top of oat mixture and blend with mixer just until your crumb mixture has moistened nicely. Add a teaspoon or two more of buttermilk, if needed.
- Sprinkle oat topping over berry and pear mixture and press down gently. Bake 20-25 minutes or until topping is nicely brown and fruit filling is thick and bubbly.
Per serving: 199 calories, 3 g protein, 37 g carbohydrate, 4.5 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 8 mg cholesterol, 5 mg cholesterol, 147 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 20%.
© 2006 Elaine Magee
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors