Orange Cranberry Chicken
This dish goes great with steamed brown rice.
- 1 tablespoon less-fat margarine
- 1/3 cup reduced-sugar orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth (if using broth powder, make it double strength by adding 1 cup of hot water to 2 teaspoons of broth powder)
- 6 skinless, boneless half breasts of chicken cut into about 3 pieces each
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- Add all ingredients except chicken to the slow cooker; stir well with spoon.
- Add the chicken breast pieces to the slow cooker, cover, and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or on LOW about 6 hours, or until chicken is cooked throughout.
- Serve chicken with orange cranberry sauce.
Per serving: 253 calories, 28 g protein, 25 g carbohydrate, 4.4 g fat, 1.1 g saturated fat, 73 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 210 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 16%.
© 2006 Elaine Magee
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter