Holiday Pear Pecan Salad
This salad is crunchy thanks to the pears, apples, and celery. The dried fruit and nuts make it festive.
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces (or substitute walnut pieces)
- 3 diced pears (such as red Bartlett or Anjou), ripe but still crisp
- 1 large crisp apple, like Granny Smith or Fuji, diced
- 1 1/2 cups celery, sliced on a diagonal
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (or dried cherries)
- 1/3 cup Apple Cider Dressing (instructions below)
For Apple Cider Dressing:
- Blend 1 1/2 tablespoons of maple butter (at room temperature) with 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and then stir in 1/4 cup apple cider. If it doesn't blend well, microwave on high briefly, and then stir.
- To toast nuts, add to small nonstick frying pan and cook, stirring often, over medium heat until lightly brown and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Add diced pears and apples, sliced celery, and dried cranberries to serving bowl. Add apple cider dressing; toss gently. Sprinkle toasted nuts over the top and serve.
8 servings of 3/4 cup each, or 6 servings of 1 cup each
Per serving: Per serving: 145 calories, 1.5 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 0.4 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 3.2 g fiber, 28 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 28%.
© 2006 Elaine Magee
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors