Cuban-Style Black Beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet or mild onion (if available)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano flakes
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup beef broth (chicken or vegetable broth can be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Heat olive oil in medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion, garlic, and oregano and saute mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Add 2/3 cup of the beans to the pan. Using a potato masher, mash the beans briefly. Stir in the remaining beans, broth, oregano, and vinegar. Cover saucepan and simmer until the mixture thickens and the flavors blend, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
6 side servings
© 2006 Elaine Magee
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Last Editorial Review: 1/10/2007