Cuban-Style Black Beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet or mild onion (if available)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano flakes
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup beef broth (chicken or vegetable broth can be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- Heat olive oil in medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion, garlic, and oregano and saute mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Add 2/3 cup of the beans to the pan. Using a potato masher, mash the beans briefly. Stir in the remaining beans, broth, oregano, and vinegar. Cover saucepan and simmer until the mixture thickens and the flavors blend, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
6 side servings
Per serving: 148 calories, 7 g protein, 19 g carbohydrate, 5.5 g fat, 0.6 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 400 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 32%.
© 2006 Elaine Magee
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter