Crumb Topping for Fruit Pie
- 3/4 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed
- Slightly heaping 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Slightly heaping 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup less-fat margarine (with 8 grams of fat per tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk (add one or two teaspoons more if needed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, or the temperature recommended in your pie recipe.
- Add oats, flours, brown sugar, baking soda and salt to a large mixing bowl and beat with electric mixer on low speed to combine. Add margarine in chunks and beat on medium speed, cleaning margarine off beaters several times, until a nice crumb has formed.
- Drizzle buttermilk over the top of oat mixture and blend with mixer just until your crumb mixture has moistened nicely. Add a teaspoon or two more buttermilk, if needed.
- Spread topping over pie filling and bake as directed in your pie recipe (usually about 30 minutes). If your recipe calls for baking more than 30 minutes, cover the top of the pie with foil for the first 20 minutes. Remove foil from the pie and bake for 24 minutes or until crust is golden.
Enough topping for one 9-inch round pie
Per serving (if 12 servings per pie): 90 calories, 2.5 g protein, 13.5 g carbohydrate, 3 g fat, 0.8 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1.2 g fiber, 102 mg sodium.
© 2006 Elaine Magee
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter