Pain Management Q&A by Dr. Helm
All Pain Management Q&A's:
- How do i withdraw from Percocet?
- Does weather effect neuritis?
- I have neuropathy in my feet. Can you recommend any good shoes to wear with this condition?
- I use OxyContin on a regular basis for 2-3 years now for chronic pain. Am I at a higher risk of difficulty coming off of the meds, and possibly need rehab to discontinue them?
- I received a cortisone injection and now I have a large spot of skin discoloration and atrophy, is this normal?
- Do diuretics decrease the effectiveness of hydrocodone?
- I have neuropathy in my feet following chemotherapy for testicular cancer. Are there any new treatments or medicine that will relieve the pain and tingling?
- How long is the recovery time for a blood patch after a lumbar puncture?
- I have seen the Rebuilder Treatment System sold on the Internet. It claims to effectively treat neuropathy. The company states this device is FDA approved. Has it been scientifically proven to be safe and effective?
- Have you ever heard of putting alcohol injections into the eye to permanently stop "optic nerve" headaches?
- I have been diagnosed with a mild form of migraine along with tension headache. I experience mild to strong headaches approximately twice a month, for which I take Paracetamol or Anacin - my dosage comes to about 10 tablets a month. My question is - can these have harmful effects in the long run? I have been taking this medication for the last 10 years.
- What treatment options are there for fracture of the spine due to osteoporosis besides morphine patches?
- I have had 3 spinal fusions, and am taking 120mg of Avinza for long term pain relief. What are the long-term consequences of using Avinza?
- Would Cymbalta help with nerve damage in the cervical part of the spine?
- Can methadone be used for severe back pain, or is it strictly used for people who have a drug problem?
- What kind of relief or treatment is there for peripheral neuropathy?
- Can acupuncture help to stop smoking?
- I suffer from chronic back pain and take pain medication frequently. I often suffer severe pain episodes, or spikes in pain. I was told this is "breakthrough pain." What is breakthrough pain? And is there treatment for it?
- I have carpal tunnel in both my hands. The pain is almost constant, the nights are the worst. I am thinking about having surgery for this condition but I have also heard that it doesn't necessarily work. Is that true?
- How does pain medication lead to "rebound" headaches?
- I suffer from migraine headaches, and my doctor referred me to a pain management specialist for Botox injections. How does Botox help migraine headaches?
- Is it true that some people have a higher tolerance for pain than others, is there a difference in pain tolerance or perception with gender?
- I've read that pain medication affects men and women differently, is this true?
Dr. Helm has been practicing interventional pain management since 1982. Dr. Helm is a diplomate of the American Board of Anesthesiology with subspecialty certification in Pain Medicine and of the American Board of Pain Medicine. Dr. Helm is a Fellow of Interventional Pain Practice (FIPP), the only certifying agency which tests the ability to perform interventional pain procedures. Dr. Helm is also an examiner for FIPP.
Last Editorial Review: 5/30/2007
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter