Breakfast Foods + Entrees: Vegetarian
Cantonese Vegetable Scramble
This egg dish makes a quick meal with steamed rice or toast.
- 3 large eggs (use higher omega-3 eggs if available)
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, cut in half on the diagonal
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon lower sodium soy sauce
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (the white and part of the green)
- Beat eggs with egg substitute with fork or mixer until thoroughly blended, but not frothy.
- Place a nonstick frying pan over high heat until hot. Add canola oil, swirling to coat the bottom. Add sugar snap peas and red pepper and stir-fry for a minute to a minute and a half. Add the egg mixture and let it cook, stirring, until the eggs are soft (about 1 minute).
- Gently stir the egg and vegetable mixture, drizzle the soy sauce over the top, and continue cooking until eggs are done to your liking (about 2 minutes). Sprinkle the green onions over the top and serve.
Per serving: 230 calories, 18 g protein, 12 g carbohydrate, 12 g fat, 2.7 g saturated fat, 5.5 g monounsaturated fat, 2.4 g polyunsaturated, 318 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 283 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 49%.
© 2006 Elaine Magee
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter