Soups and Sandwiches: Sandwiches
BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (or thighs)
- Canola cooking spray
- 3/4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® salt-free seasoning of your choice (like Garlic & Herb)
- 2 multigrain or whole-wheat hamburger buns (toasted, if desired)
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 thin slices onion
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- Preheating your indoor grill or oven broiler. Coat both sides of each raw chicken breast (or thigh) with canola cooking spray. Sprinkle both sides of each piece lightly with salt-free seasoning.
- Place seasoned chicken pieces on the bottom pan of your indoor grill and close the top to start cooking. If using a broiler, place the chicken pieces on a foil-covered baking sheet and place 6 inches under the broiler. Broil until the top is nicely browned, then flip over to brown the other side (about 4 minutes per side). If using the indoor grill, check chicken after about 8 minutes.
- Check the thickest part of the chicken to make sure it is cooked throughout. If so, remove both chicken pieces to plates. Assemble your sandwiches by placing each chicken piece on the bottom piece of a toasted bun. Top each with a tablespoon of barbecue sauce then an onion slice, 2 tomato slices, a couple of lettuce leaves, and the top of the bun.
Per serving: 357 calories, 35 g protein, 42 g carbohydrate, 6 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 2.2 g monounsaturated fat, 1.4 g polyunsaturated fat, 73 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 611 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 15%.
© 2006 Elaine Magee
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter