Pizza, Wraps and More
Lompe (Hot Dog in Potato Roll Dough
This is the Norwegian version of a hot dog. They wrap their boiled hot dog or sausage link up in a potato roll that has been cooked on a griddle.
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 8 less-fat turkey hot dogs (or less-fat turkey sausage links)
- In a large saucepan, boil potatoes in their skins until tender (20-30 minutes). Cool the potatoes, then, using a plastic knife, remove their skins. Place the potatoes in a mixing bowl and with an electric mixer (or by hand with a potato masher), beat until creamy.
- With a wooden spoon and your hands, blend in the flour until the dough is stiff enough to roll out. Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Using a rolling pin, roll each piece into a thin, oval-shaped sheet about a 1/8-inch thick.
- In a medium saucepan, boil the hot dogs. When they are cooked throughout, lower the heat to simmer until the potato rolls are ready.
- Heat a large nonstick grill or skillet, and use it to cook the flat rolls a few at a time. While the undersides are cooking, use a pastry brush to brush the top sides with water. Once the bottoms are lightly browned, flip rolls over and lightly brown the other sides.
- Sprinkle each roll with water, and wrap around a boiled hot dog. Then wrap each in a paper towel so the roll softens around the hot dog. Serve immediately.
8 wrapped hot dogs
Nutritional Information Per hot dog:
248 calories, 10.5 g protein, 37.5 g carbohydrate, 6.3 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 40 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 484 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 23%.
© 2006 Elaine Magee
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter