Desserts: Cakes, Cookies and other desserts
Devin Alexander's Version of Starbucks Pumpkin Pound Cake
Alexander's version will save you 64 calories, 12 grams of fat, and 1.5 grams of saturated fat over the original.
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups unbleached flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup fat-free vanilla yogurt (not artificially sweetened)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Mist an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch nonstick loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Sift flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cloves and nutmeg into a mixing bowl, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, yogurt, and egg whites. Using a sturdy whisk, mix until thoroughly blended. Stir in the pumpkin. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture. Stir until no flour is visible. Pour into the reserved pan; bake for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake to the rack to cool completely. When cool, cut into 8 slices.
Per serving: 246 calories, 5 g protein, 57 g carbohydrates, trace fat, trace sat fat, 2 g fiber.
Source: Fast Food Fix: 75 Amazing Recipe Makeovers of your Fast Food Restaurant Favorites (Rodale Books, April 2006) by Devin Alexander; © 2006.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter