This recipe calls for just a half-cup of brown sugar for 12 servings. Rolled oats and wheat germ add the goodness of grains.
- 5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (don't thaw before using)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rolled oats, uncooked
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened but not melted
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Place the fruit in a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Combine the brown sugar, oats, wheat germ, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Cut in the margarine with a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the top of the blueberries. Bake for 25 minutes or until the fruit is tender. Cool before serving.
Per serving (made with margarine): 152 calories, 3 g protein, 22 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 68 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 41%.
Source: Elizabeth Ward, R.D.