Banana Coconut-Macadamia Muffins
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
- 1/3 cup Splenda® (or other sugar alternative for baking)
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon low-fat milk or fat-free half-and-half
- 1 large egg (higher omega-3 if available)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted or toasted macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup flaked or shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
- Whisk whole-wheat and white flours, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg together in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- Add bananas, Splenda® and brown sugar, canola oil, milk, and egg to another large mixing bowl and beat or stir until completely blended. Pour banana mixture into the dry ingredients in mixing bowl and stir until just combined.
- Fold in macadamia nuts and coconut. Fill each muffin cup using a 1/4-cup measuring cup. Bake until muffins are golden brown and tester inserted in center comes out clean (about 25 minutes).
Per muffin: 194 calories, 4 g protein, 26 g carbohydrate, 9 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 18 mg cholesterol, 2.2 g fiber, 222 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 42%.
© 2006 Elaine Magee