- 4 medium portabella mushrooms, stems removed and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 medium zucchini, cut into matchsticks (about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch thick)
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 8 corn or flour tortillas
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded, reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa of your choice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Add mushrooms, oregano, oil, salt and pepper (if desired), zucchini sticks, and onion slices to large bowl. Toss to blend well.
- Spoon mixture evenly into a jellyroll pan (line it with nonstick foil if you have it). Place pan in oven and let vegetables roast, tossing occasionally, for about 30 minutes.
- Soften tortillas by wrapping them in a damp cloth and heating in the microwave for about a minute. Or, you can warm them in a nonstick frying pan (use a little canola cooking spray if you like).
- Fill each tortilla with mushroom mixture, some shredded cheese, and salsa.
4 servings (2 tacos each)
Per serving: 309 calories, 15 g protein, 40 g carbohydrate, 12 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 15 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 370 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 33%.
© 2006 Elaine Magee