Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Muffins
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg (higher omega-3 if available), beaten lightly
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup lite pancake syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup raisins
- Add oats and buttermilk to large mixing bowl. Let stand for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
- Add egg, brown sugar, syrup, vanilla, and canola oil to oat mixture in mixing bowl. Stir until just combined.
- In another large bowl, whisk together flours, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and baking soda. Stir into oat mixture until just combined. Fold in raisins.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups using a 1/4-cup measuring cup and bake until golden (about 20 minutes).
Per muffin: 165 calories, 4 g protein, 26 g carbohydrate, 6 g fat, 0.6 g saturated fat, 18 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 229 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 30%.
© 2006 Elaine Magee
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors