Vegetarian Sausage & Saffron Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red chili, stemmed, seeded, and finely minced, or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 pinch saffron threads (find these in jars in the spice section)
- 5-6 ounces vegetarian sausage of your choice, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup diced, vine-ripened tomato (or use drained chopped canned tomatoes)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (the white and part of the green)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a medium, nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and chili or red pepper flakes, if desired, and saute for exactly one minute. Stir in the brown rice and let brown in oil for a minute. Stir in the broth, saffron, sausage pieces, tomato, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer; cover saucepan and cook 35-40 minutes (rice should be tender).
- Let the rice mixture sit in covered saucepan for 10 minutes. Stir in green onions, and add salt and pepper to taste.
Per serving (using Whole Foods® brand Vegetarian Sausage Links: 291 calories, 13.5 g protein, 43 g carbohydrate, 7.4 g fat, 0.7 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 620 mg sodium (depending on the sodium in the broth and sausage). Calories from fat: 23%.
© 2006 Elaine Magee