Farmer's Market Pasta Salad
Feel free to add or substitute ingredients to incorporate the items you find this weekend at your farmer's market.
- About 8 cups cooked, drained, whole wheat blend pasta (rotini or penne)
- 1/2 cup pesto (fresh or frozen pesto from the supermarket)
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup finely diced bell pepper (use yellow, red, or orange for a color contrast)
- 3 cups lightly cooked and cooled, in-season veggies (zucchini or carrot slices, broccoli or cauliflower florets, green beans, or whatever veggie looks good)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts* (optional)
- Add pasta to large serving bowl along with the pesto, diced tomato, bell pepper, and in-season vegetables. Toss to blend well.
- Sprinkle the toasted pine nuts over the top if desired and serve. If not serving immediately, cover well and keep refrigerated until needed.
- *To toast pine nuts, just add to small nonstick frying pan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until they are lightly brown.
Per serving: 370 calories, 16 g protein, 58 g carbohydrate, 11 g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 6 mg cholesterol, 6-10 g fiber (depending on whether your pasta is partial or full whole wheat), 171 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 25%.
© 2006 Elaine Magee
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter