A creamy, flavorful topping that works for pound cake, shortcake, coffee cake, waffles or pancakes.
- 8-ounce block light cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Splenda® (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup diced strawberries
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest (or finely chopped orange peel)
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and pulse to whip together and blend until a spread forms. Scrape down sides of processor bowl and break up any chunks of cream cheese after about 5 seconds.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator until needed. Serve within 24 hours because the moisture in the berries may leak into the mixture over time.
1 1/2 cups spread, or about 5 servings (1/4 cup each)
Per Serving: 129 calories, 5 g protein, 10 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 21 mg cholesterol, 0.5 g fiber, 213 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 53%.
© 2006 Elaine Magee