Quick Spinach Italiano
You can whip up this side dish in about 5 minutes.
- 1 pound frozen spinach leaves (cut, not chopped, works best), partially thawed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese (available in bags and tubs)
- Add olive oil to large, nonstick frying pan or skillet and heat oil until hot, but not smoking, over medium heat. Add garlic; saute for 30 seconds or so.
- Stir in the spinach leaves; saute for a few minutes or until spinach is tender.
- Add pepper to taste. Sprinkle Parmesan over the top and serve.
Nutritional Information Per serving: 79 calories, 4 g protein, 5 g carbohydrate, 5.5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 3.5 g fiber, 98 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 59%.
© 2006 Elaine Magee
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter