Light Rosti with Mushrooms and Onions
- 8 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 slices turkey bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups diced raw mushrooms
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- About 4 ounces of Jarlsberg Lite cheese, thinly sliced (or substitute gruyere)
- Add frozen hash browns to a microwave-safe covered container; add 1/2 cup water, cover, and microwave on HIGH until tender (about 15 minutes). Drain, sprinkle with salt, and set aside to cool.
- Coat a large, nonstick pan with some canola oil. Fry turkey bacon in the pan on medium heat until nicely crisp. Let cool on paper towel, then crumble into pieces.
- Coat the same frying pan with canola or olive oil cooking spray. Add mushrooms and onions and cook until soft (about 5 minutes.) Turn off heat; stir in the bacon pieces and shredded potatoes.
- Heat a teaspoon of olive oil over high heat in a small, nonstick frying pan. Scoop 1 cup of the potato mixture into the center of the pan. Use a spatula to flatten it into a round, flat cake. When the bottom is nicely browned (about 2 minutes), flip it over and begin to brown the underside while you add an ounce of sliced cheese on top. Once the underside is lightly browned, either turn the Rosti onto a dinner plate or finish melting the cheese by putting the pan briefly under a broiler.
- Repeat this step with remaining potato mixture, olive oil, and cheese.
Nutritional Information Per serving (if 4 per recipe): 380 calories, 16.5 g protein, 49 g carbohydrates, 13.9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 4.5 g fiber, 972 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 32%.
© 2006 Elaine Magee