Old-Fashioned Tapioca Pudding
Enjoy some fresh fruit along with this pudding. It will add flavor and color, along with fiber.
- 3 tablespoons Minute Tapioca
- 3 tablespoons Splenda
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light pancake syrup (or honey)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg (use higher omega-3 egg, if available)
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups 1% low-fat or skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of ground cinnamon (optional)
- Add tapioca, Splenda, sugar, pancake syrup, salt, egg, egg substitute, and milk to a medium nonstick saucepan and whisk until smooth. Let stand (don't stir), for exactly 5 minutes.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, just until mixture comes to a full boil. Stir in vanilla extract and ground cinnamon, if desired. Transfer pudding to a medium bowl that is sitting in a larger bowl partly filled with ice. Let stand, stirring occasionally, for about 12 minutes.
- Spoon into 4 serving dishes or cups and eat immediately, or cover dishes with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator (serve within 2 days).
Per serving: 131 calories, 8 g protein, 19 g carbohydrate, 2.5 g fat (1.1 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 268 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 17%.
© 2006 Elaine Magee