Whole-Grain Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, roasted or grilled (or skinless meat from 1 rotisserie chicken)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 cups boiled and drained whole-wheat blend pasta (like Barilla Plus penne pasta)
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth (canned or reconstituted from packets)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh chopped fresh herb blend (such as parsley, sage and oregano)
- Add olive oil to large nonstick sauce pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add celery, mushrooms and onion and saute until vegetables are lightly browned (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in shredded chicken, garlic, and black pepper, and toss to blend well.
- Add the pasta, chicken broth, and fresh herbs and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover pot and let simmer about 10-15 minutes.
Makes 8 servings
per serving: 223 calories, 20 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 41 mg cholesterol, 3.5 g fiber,171 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 29%.
SOURCE: © 2005 Elaine Magee
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.