Appetizers, Snacks, Dips, Salsa & Spreads
Sweet 'N' Sour Turkey Meatballs Recipe
- 1 pound extra-lean ground turkey (around 6%-8% fat)
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread, finely chopped, or 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 large egg (or 1/4 cup egg substitute, if desired)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced onion
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Dash or two or freshly ground pepper
- 2 to 6 tablespoons nonalcoholic beer, chicken broth or water (optional)
- 1/2 cup Heinz chili sauce
- 1/2 cup red currant jelly
- In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients, mixing well with a wooden spoon or your hands. Form into about 40 bite-size meatballs.
- Spray a nonstick frying pan with canola cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add the meatballs, cover the frying pan and brown them for about 5 minutes.
- Turn the meatballs over, adding the beer or other liquid if necessary to prevent sticking. Cover and brown about 5 minutes more, or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Combine the chili sauce and jelly and pour over the meatballs. Simmer gently for about 10 minutes, stirring and basting the meatballs frequently until the sauce thickens nicely. Serve with toothpicks.
Per serving: 170 calories, 10 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, 5.5 g fat, 1.7 g saturated fat, 61 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 347 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 28%.
SOURCE: © 2005 Elaine Magee
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter