Appetizers, Snacks, Dips, Salsa & Spreads
No-Bake Peanut Butter Power Bars Recipe
- Canola cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter or canola margarine
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat smooth peanut butter
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows, lightly packed
- 1 cup low-fat granola
- 1 cup Rice Krispies cereal (or other puffed rice cereal)
- 1/3 cup ground golden flaxseed (golden flax works better in this recipe)
- Coat an 8x8-inch baking pan with canola cooking spray. Put the butter, peanut butter, and marshmallows into a medium-sized microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds, or until mixture is just melted. Stir to blend.
- Microwave again briefly if the mixture isn't melted or smooth. Then stir in granola, puffed rice and flaxseed.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared pan, flattening it evenly with a sheet of waxed paper. Let it cool completely before cutting into 8 equal-sized bars.
Per serving: 207 calories, 5.5 g protein, 31 g carbohydrate, 8 g of fat ( 2 g saturated fat, 1 g monounsaturated fat, 1.8 g polyunsaturated fat) , 4mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 174 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 35%. Omega 3 fatty acids = 1 g, Omega 6 fatty acids = 0.7 g.
SOURCE: © 2005 Elaine Magee
From The Flax Cookbook by Elaine Magee, MPH, RD (Marlowe & Co.)
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter