Refreshing Blended Drinks (smoothies, milkshakes)
Mocha-ccino Freeze Recipe
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt, light vanilla ice cream or ice milk (nonfat or sugar-free brands can be substituted if desired)
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup strong decaf coffee, chilled (use caffeinated if you prefer). To make double-strength coffee, brew twice the amount you want without increasing the water.
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- Add all ingredients to your blender or food processor
- Blend on highest speed until smooth (about 10 seconds). Scrape sides of blender, and blend again for 5 more seconds.
- Pour into two glasses and enjoy!
Per serving: 157 calories, 7 g protein, 23 g carbohydrate, 4.5 g fat ( 1.3 saturated fat, 1 g monounsaturated fat, 1.9 g polyunsaturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 2.3 g fiber, 79 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 26%. Omega-3 fatty acids = 1.5 g. Omega-6 fatty acids = 0.4 g.
SOURCE: © 2005 Elaine Magee
From The Flax Cookbook by Elaine Magee, MPH, RD (Marlowe & Co.)
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter