Oven Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds lean beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized cubes (trimmed of visible fat)
- 3 carrots, sliced (or 3 cups baby carrots)
- 2 onions, quartered and separated into layers
- 3 med-large potatoes, cut into stew-size wedges (sweet potatoes can be substituted)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, add more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth (add more as necessary)
- 11 ounce can condensed tomato bisque soup
- Preheat oven to 275-degrees. In an ovenproof Dutch oven or large casserole pan (with lid), combine all the ingredients except broth and soup, mixing well.
- In a separate bowl, blend broth with condensed soup and pour over meat mixture. Cover and bake for 2 to 3 hours.
- Check after 2 hours to see if meat is tender and cooked throughout. If too much liquid has evaporated, add a cup or two more of beef broth. Stir mixture and bake 15 minutes more.
Per serving: 331 calories, 31 g protein, 33 g carbohydrate, 8 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 3.3 g monounsaturated fat, .8 g polyunsaturated fat, 77 mg cholesterol, 3.5 g fiber, 413 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 23 percent.
SOURCE: © 2005 Elaine Magee.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.