Chicken Apple Sausage Strata Recipe
This is a great recipe for the holidays because you make it the night before and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator. Then in the morning, just pop it in the oven. And leftovers just have to be reheated in the microwave.
- 2 links chicken apple sausage (around 85 grams weight per link), diced
- 3 cups mushroom slices
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 7 slices 100% whole wheat bread, cubed
- 2 cups shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 3 large eggs (preferably ones higher in omega-3s)
- 1-teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups fat free half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dusting of ground black pepper
- Lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with canola cooking spray. Add sausage and mushrooms and canola oil to a large, nonstick skillet and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until nicely browned (about 5 minutes).
- Add bread cubes and half of the cheese to the skillet with sausage mixture and toss to blend well. Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Add eggs and ground mustard to large mixing bowl and beat on medium speed to blend. Add egg substitute, half and half, salt and pepper to bowl and beat until smooth. Pour egg mixture over bread cube mixture. Cover dish and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees. While preheating oven, remove casserole from refrigerator (about 20 minutes before baking). Bake about 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.!
Per serving: 300 calories, 24 grams protein, 25 grams carbohydrate, 12 grams fat, 4.8 g saturated fat, 114 mg cholesterol, 4 grams fiber, 750 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 36 percent.
SOURCE: © 2005 Elaine Magee.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter