Vegetables & Side Dishes
Date and Bulgur Stuffing Recipe
- 1 Cup bulgur (buckwheat)
- 3 Cups boiling fat-free chicken stock
- 12-pitted dates, chopped
- 2 small turkey sausages, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons chopped celery
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Put bulgur in a large bowl. Pour 2 cups of boiling chicken stock and let sit 15 minutes. Drain out excess liquid.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil and saute onions until soft and translucent. Add chopped garlic, chopped turkey sausage and saute until brown.
- Pour skillet mixture over bulgur and mix.
- Add chopped dates, chopped celery, chopped parsley, chopped thyme and lemon juice. Mix to evenly distribute. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place in a baking pan and coat with Pam spray. Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes until lightly browned.
Per Serving: 213 calories, 6 grams protein, 28 grams carbohydrate, 8.5 grams fat and 36% calories from fat.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter