Vegetables & Side Dishes
Cranberry Walnut Dressing Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups finely sliced celery heart
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (1 large onion)
- 3 tbsp butter or canola margarine
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth (liquid)
- 16 oz.-can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 4 tsp. or cubes of low-sodium chicken broth (powder)
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (liquid)
- 3/4 tsp. ground sage
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 14 oz. (about 8 cups) herb-seasoned bread cubes for stuffing
- 2/3 cups walnuts, toasted for 1 minute under broiler to lightly brown
- In a Dutch oven or stock pot, simmer celery and onion in the butter and 1 cup chicken broth until tender. While onion and celery mixture is simmering in a small saucepan, mix cranberry sauce with the 4 tsp. of chicken broth powder over low heat until broth powder dissolves.
- Add seasonings and 2 cups chicken broth to celery onion mixture. Add bread cubes and stir until evenly moistened. Drizzle cranberry mixture over the top of the bread mixture and sprinkle walnuts over cranberry mixture. Stir to mix evenly. Cover and let sit on warm setting of stove for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
about 16 servings of 1 cup per person.
Per serving: 200 calories, 4.5 g protein, 32.5 g carbohydrates, 5.8 g fat, 6 mg cholesterol, 415 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 26%.
SOURCE: © 2005 Elaine Magee
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter