Vegetables & Side Dishes
Smoky Greens (without ham hocks or bacon grease) Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 16-ounce bag of "cut and cleaned" mixed greens (collard, mustard, turnip) or collard greens
- 2 cups water or low-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring (available in small bottles in the BBQ section of most supermarkets)
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Heat olive oil in large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for a few minutes, stirring often.
- Add chopped greens and 2 cups of water or broth. Add the brown sugar, molasses, and liquid smoke and stir well to blend.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Continue to simmer for about 25 minutes, or until greens are tender.
Per serving: 82 calories, 2.5 g protein, 14.5 g carbohydrate, 2.5 g fat (0.3 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 25 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 26%.
SOURCE: © 2005 Elaine Magee
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter