Swiss Chard Italian Wraps Recipe
- 12 medium to large leaves Swiss chard (red or green), rinsed well; cut out the thickest part of stem (about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the leaf)
- 4 to 5 ounces sliced or shredded part-skim, low-moisture mozzarella
- 12 teaspoons tomato paste
- 6 small tomatoes (or 3 large), quartered
- About a teaspoon Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb salt-free seasoning
- Salt to taste (optional)
- Place 4 leaves (still fairly wet from being rinsed) on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on HIGH for about 25 seconds.
- Lay the leaves face-down on a nonstick jellyroll sheet (or similar) with stems lined up from north to south. Lay 1/4 ounce of cheese in the center, in a 2-inch long rectangle, from north to south. Spread 1 teaspoon of the tomato paste over the cheese, then top with 2 quarters (if using small tomatoes) and sprinkle about 1/16 teaspoon of the Mrs. Dash over the tomato filling.
- Fold north and south ends of leaf over the filling, then fold in the sides to create a burrito-like wrap. Place on jellyroll pan, stem side up. Repeat with remaining leaves and filling. Preheat oven to broil.
- Broil, with pan about 6 inches from the flame, for 2 minutes. Flip wraps over, and broil other side 2 minutes more. Sprinkle salt over the top, if desired.
about 6 side servings (2 wraps per serving)
Per serving (2 wraps): 102 calories, 9 g protein, 11 g carbohydrate, 3.8 g fat (2.2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 3.3 g fiber, 369 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 31%.
SOURCE: © 2005 Elaine Magee
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.