7-Layer SaladThis is a very popular potluck recipe in some areas of the United States. Now you have a lighter version to bring, and no one will be the wiser.
- 8 cups of shredded Romaine or green leaf lettuce
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms or carrots
- 1 1/2 cups canned kidney or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas (run cold water over them in a strainer to partially thaw)
6 tablespoons light Miracle Whip® (or other light mayo)
6 tablespoons light or nonfat sour cream
6 tablespoons low-fat milk or fat-free half-and-half
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons crumbled oregano leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1 cup, packed, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup less-fat bacon bits (optional)
1. Assemble the first five layers in a 9x13-inch glass dish.
2. In a separate bowl, beat dressing ingredients together with wire whisk. Spread over the top layer in the glass dish with a spatula.
3. Sprinkle cheese and bacon bits (if desired) evenly over the top of salad. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Per serving: 115 calories, 7 g protein, 12 g carbohydrate, 4.5 g fat, 1.6 g saturated fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 247 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 35%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter