Quick Mexican Rice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups long-grain brown rice, uncooked
- 1 cup finely chopped white onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) crushed or petite cut tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1. Heat oil in a medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat and saute the rice just until golden (about 5 minutes).
2. Add onions and garlic and saute for a minute or two more. Stir in tomatoes (including juice), chicken broth, and bell pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover the saucepan and simmer for about 25 minutes or until broth is absorbed.
Per serving: 230 calories, 6 g protein, 42 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 0.8 g saturated fat, 2 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 119 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 20%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.