Egg Mock-Muffin Sandwich
- 2 English muffins, toasted
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 slices Canadian bacon
- 2 empty tuna cans (or similar cans), washed and label removed
- 2 slices less-fat American or cheddar cheese slices
- Freshly ground pepper
- Canola cooking spray
1. Coat half of a 9" or 10" nonstick frying pan with canola cooking spray and heat over medium heat. In a small bowl, beat the egg with egg substitute with a fork or whisk and set aside.
2. Place Canadian bacon in the pan, over the sprayed area. Spray the inside of the tuna cans with canola cooking spray, and set on the non-spayed side of the frying pan to start heating. When bottom side of the bacon is light brown, flip over and cook other side until light brown. Remove bacon from pan and set aside.
3. Pour 1/4 cup of the egg mixture into each tuna can. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper to taste. When the surface of the egg begins to firm, cut around the inside of the cans with a butter knife to free the edges. Turn the eggs over with a cake fork and cook for 1 minute more. Remove eggs from can.
4. To assemble each sandwich, layer an English muffin bottom with a slice of cheese, then an egg patty, a piece of Canadian bacon, and the muffin top.
Per sandwich: 283 calories, 22 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 9 g fat, 3.9 g saturated fat, 2 g fiber, 808 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 30%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter