Perfect Pita Pizza
- 1 large pita bread (use whole-grain if available)
- 1/8 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/8 cup bottled pizza sauce or marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Favorite pizza toppings:
sliced mushrooms, less-fat pepperoni or light salami, chopped green pepper or green onions, chopped red onion, pineapple chunks and lean ham, etc.
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place pita, rounded side down, on a baking sheet.
2. Spread ricotta cheese over the pita (leaving a crust-like edge around the pita). Spoon the pizza sauce over the cheese and add desired toppings. Sprinkle mozzarella over the top and bake for 6-8 minutes (watch carefully so it doesn't burn).
Per serving (using whole-wheat pita and not including extra toppings): 256 calories, 16 g protein, 29.5 g carbohydrate, 8.8 g fat, 4.7 g saturated fat, 24 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 492 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 30%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.