Homemade Light Applesauce
- 3 pounds apples (whichever type you prefer), peeled, cored, and chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons Splenda®
- Juice from 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or apple pie spice
1. Put chopped apples in a large nonstick saucepan and stir in water, sugar, Splenda®, and lemon juice. Bring mixture to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until apples are tender (about 10 minutes).
2. Use a potato masher to break cooked apples up into a nice puree.
3. Stir in ground cinnamon or apple pie spice. Serve warm or cold.
8, 1/2-cup servings
Per serving: 110 calories, 0.5 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 0.6 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 3.5 g fiber, <1 mg sodium.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.