Holiday Angel Cake
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup Splenda®
- 12 egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh cranberries or 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped orange zest (or substitute lemon zest)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Double check that your tube pan is clean and dry. (Any trace amounts of oil could cause your whipped egg whites to deflate).
2. Stir flour, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and Splenda® together in medium bowl and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whip the egg whites with the vanilla, cream of tartar, and salt together with mixer until medium-stiff peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar (3/4 cup) while continuing to whip to stiff peaks. When you think the egg whites have reached maximum volume, gradually fold in the flour mixture, one third at a time.
4. Stir in 1 cup fresh cranberries or 1/2 cup dried cranberries and orange zest. Be careful not to overmix.
5. Pour the batter in the prepared tube pan and bake 40-45 minutes or until cake springs back when touched. Balance the tube pan upside down on the top of a bottle to prevent decompression while cooling. When completely cool, run a knife around the edge of the pan and invert onto a serving plate.
8 large servings
Per serving: 171 calories, 7.5 g protein, 36 g carbohydrate, 0.1 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 0.8 g fiber, 216 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 1%.
SOURCE: Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, May 2004. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 2002; 42 (3 Suppl): 301-16. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, Dec. 4, 2002. Clinical Infectious Diseases, May 15, 2004. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2004 (2): CD001321.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.