Cranberry Coconut Pecan Pancakes
- 2 cups cake flour (or use unbleached white flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Splenda® (if desired)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup reduced-calorie pancake syrup
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (smaller size work best) or 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup shredded or flaked (sweetened) coconut
- 1/3 cup pecan pieces, toasted
1. Add cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and Splenda® to a large mixing bowl. Beat on low to blend well.
2. Add egg, egg substitute, buttermilk, vanilla extract, canola oil, and pancake syrup all at once to flour mixture in mixing bowl. Beat on low just until combined, scraping down sides of bowl midway. Stir cranberries, coconut, and pecans into batter.
3. Let batter rest 20 minutes. Begin heating nonstick griddle pan over medium heat. Spray griddle lightly with canola cooking spray if needed to prevent pancakes from sticking to pan.
4. Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto griddle. After bubbles form in pancakes (30-60 seconds), turn them with spatula and cook another 30-60 seconds or until golden brown. Serve with your preferred toppings.
6 servings (3-4 pancakes each)
Per 3 to 4 pancakes (without coconut): 293 calories, 8 g protein, 41 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat, 1.4 g saturated fat, 38 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 700 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 31%.
Per 3 to 4 pancakes (with coconut): 313 calories, 8 g protein, 44 g carbohydrate, 12 g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 38 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 700 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 34%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.