Apple Sweet Potato Bake
- 5 cups thinly sliced sweet potatoes (or yams), about 1 1/2 sweet potatoes
- 2 cups thinly sliced apples, such as pippin or Granny Smith (about 2 small)
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie pancake syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup apple juice or orange juice
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces or chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes, apple slices, and brown sugar together. Spoon into a 9x9-inch or similar-sized baking dish.
3. In a small bowl, blend syrup with cinnamon. Stir in the apple juice. Pour evenly over sweet potato mixture. Sprinkle walnuts over the top.
4. Cover baking dish with lid or foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake about 15 minutes longer (or until apple and sweet potatoes are cooked throughout).
Per serving: 128 calories, 2 g protein, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fat (0.2 g saturated fat, 0.7 g monounsaturated fat, 2 g polyunsaturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 2.2 g fiber, 24 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 21%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.