Savory Vegetable Gravy
- 1/4 pound (about 2 cups) fresh crimini mushroom slices
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons no-trans-fat margarine (with 8 grams of fat per tablespoon)
- 1 cup strong low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley (or 1 teaspoon parsley flakes)
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Wondra quick-mixing flour
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half or low-fat milk (or substitute plain soymilk), divided
1. In a medium, nonstick saucepan, brown mushroom slices and onion in margarine over medium-high heat (about 5 minutes). Add broth, parsley, celery salt, and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes
2. In a 4-cup measure, blend flour with 4 tablespoons fat-free half-and-half with small whisk until smooth. Whisk in the remaining half-and-half or milk, and pour into the vegetable mixture. Bring mixture to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to simmer. Continue to cook and stir just until thickened.
2 cups of gravy.
Per serving: Per 1/4 cup of gravy: 52 calories, 3 g protein, 7 g carbohydrate, 1.6 g fat, 0.2 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 0.4 g fiber, 178 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 26%.
©2003-2006 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter